There is a problem when using bibliographies (or indexes or appendices) and endnotes together in Word. The problem arises when you want to place the text at the end of the document, after the endnotes. Word interprets end of document very strictly, and unfortunately, your endnotes appear after everything else.
Thankfully, using a little trickery we can get our bibliography, or appendix, or index, or whatever text is necessary to appear after the endnotes. The secret is to use sections. Briefly, you need to insert a section break at the end of the document. It’s possible that you are using multiple sections in your document for other reasons. So for each section in the document you need to change the Endnotes settings to display at the end of the section rather than the end of the document. After this is done stop endnotes appearing in every section. You do this by suppressing the endnotes for all sections, except the one where the endnotes are to appear. As soon as you suppress endnotes in a section, the ones for that section appear in the following section. So you suppress them for all sections apart from the one where you want them to appear. Finally you place the bibliography, or appendix, or index, or whatever text is necessary, after the final section break.
The detailed instructions are:
- Insert a section break at the end of the document.
- In the References tab of the Ribbon, in the Footnotes group, click on the Dialog Box Launcher. The Footnote and Endnote dialog here is displayed.
- Select the Endnotes location option, then click on the drop-down selector to the right and choose End of Section.
- Click on Apply.
- Now position in each section where you do not want the endnotes displayed. You need to suppress the endnotes for that section. To do this:
- In the Page Layout tab of the Ribbon, in the Page Setup group, click on the Dialog Box Launcher. The Page Setup dialog is displayed.
- Click on the Layout tab, and click on the Suppress endnotes check box to place a tick mark in it.
- Click on OK.
- Repeat Step 5 for every section where you do not want endnotes displayed.
- Finally, move to the end of the document (using CTRL + End) and place the bibliography, or appendix, or index, or whatever text is necessary, after the final section break.